What does the City Lit Counselling Service (CLCS) offer?
CLCS offers six sessions of counselling to students enrolled on City Lit courses lasting at least a term. The counselling approach is solution-focused, and priority is given to students who need support to complete their courses.
Who provides the counselling?
Counselling sessions are provided by volunteer placement counsellors. Some counsellors are still completing their training. Others are qualified and working towards accreditation. They all abide by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy’s Ethical Framework for Good Practice.
Is the service confidential?
Yes. Your records and the content of your counselling sessions remain confidential within the City Lit Counselling Service. Counsellors only break confidentiality if there is a risk of significant harm to the client or someone else, or for legal reasons (such as the Prevention of Terrorism Act 1994).
Is there a fee for counselling sessions?
CLCS charges a sliding scale of fees from £5 to £30, depending on your ability to pay. The fee you pay will be negotiated and agreed during your initial assessment. The fees support the running costs of the service.
How do I access the counselling service?
- Come to the drop-in on Fridays: 1.30-3.30pm - Room 401a.
- Call: 020 7492 2539 and leave a voicemail with your name and number. Messages are picked up on Thursdays and Fridays.
What happens next?
The lead counsellor will contact you to arrange an initial assessment by phone on a Thursday or Friday, to see whether CLCS can help you.
- If CLCS is suitable for you, the lead counsellor will allocate you to a counsellor on an agreed day and time, or put you on the waiting list.
- If CLCS isn’t suitable for you, we can signpost you to alternative sources of support.
- The volunteer counsellor will contact you to arrange your first session. At the end of this session you will be offered a short-term contract for your six sessions.
- Counselling sessions last for 50 minutes and take place at the same time each week in Room 401a, for the agreed fee.
What if I need urgent support?
CLCS does not offer a crisis service. If you need urgent support, we suggest you call the Samaritans on 08457 909090, or contact your GP.