What is the course about?
The course provides an opportunity to continue the writing and performing of stand up comedy and the development of existing material.
What will we cover?
• Writing and developing material
• How to construct a set from your material.
• Performing your set- how to deal with dealing with hecklers, ‘dying’ and working with the mike.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Write Topical material
• Compere a show.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an improvers course, you need to have completed stand - up comedy for beginners or have relevant experience.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen and respond to instructions and feedback.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Take notes.
• Contribute constructively when working in small groups.
Please Note: We do not usually accept under 19 year olds except in special circumstances - please see Students under 19 for more information.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Student will undertake specific story orientated exercises, they will also have the opportunity to try out ideas in front of the class, this will be followed by group brainstorming.
• The group are also encouraged to attend comedy clubs and there will also be the opportunity to perform in an end of term showcase.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students will need a notebook and pen.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can enrol onto advanced stand – up (DRA100) which will help you to prepare for entry onto the comedy circuit. You may wish to consider enrolling onto one of the City Lit’s improvisation courses (such as DRB070 or DRM070) as improvisation is a great aid to developing as a stand up comedian from both a writing and performance perspective.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details