Deaf and hard of hearing students
With a renowned deaf education programme, City Lit has a large number of deaf and hard-of-hearing students and staff.
We provide specialist support for deafness and acquired hearing loss to help you make the most of your course.
Access for deaf and hard of hearing students
We can provide:
- Aids and equipment: Radio aids for people who use hearing aids. Some of our classrooms have hearing induction loops.
- In-class communication support: Communication Support Workers; British Sign Language Interpreters; Manual and Electronic Notetakers; Specialist Tutors for Deaf Learners.
- Special arrangements for exams e.g. communication support and extra time.
To apply for in-class communication support:
Please contact us at least 3 weeks before the course starts. You can come to the Wednesday afternoon advice session or contact us to make an appointment.
We try to support as many students as possible but support cannot be guaranteed.
To apply for use of a radio aid:
Please contact us and we will book the equipment for you.
If you have not used a radio aid before we can arrange an appointment for you to try one.
- Tuesdays: 11.00–12.00 (term time only) in room 400.
Alternatively contact us to make an appointment.
Tel: 020 7492 2506
Text/SMS: 07624 818558
Flashing light alarm systems
The classrooms used for teaching deaf adults have red flashing light fire alarms.
Deaf access and interpreting
If you are deaf or disabled and are studying at a college or university in London, our team of dedicated and highly trained staff can provide you with the support you need to succeed on your course.
Courses of interest to Deaf adults
As well as our full programme of courses, we have a number of courses available which will be of particular interest to deaf adults, their families and people who work with deaf adults. Some classes are delivered in British Sign Language:
- Computing for Deaf people
- English for Deaf people
- Maths for Deaf People
- British Sign Language for Deaf people or British Sign Language for hearing people.
Find out more
Advice and guidance sessions are held at 14.00 – 15.00 every Wednesday during term-time.
Welfare Advice for Deaf Students
Welfare Advisers from the Royal Association for Deaf People will be at City Lit on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during term time. The advisers can offer support to British Sign Language users on a range of welfare topics.
• Tuesdays 14:30-18:00
• Wednesdays 10:30-14:30
Please check te posters around City Lit for the location of the service or ask in the Student Centre on the mezzanine.