Why City Lit?
Student Centre and Library
Our Student Centre - a multi-purpose hub for all students
Over the last year we have transformed our Student Centre into a central hub for all students. The Student Centre is a friendly and sociable place for all students to study, relax and unwind.
Our library still makes up part of the Student Centre but we now also offer a much wider range of services and facilities in addition to this.
What can you expect to find in the Student Centre?
- A place for all City Lit students: space to work independently and in groups, socialise and unwind
- Learning resources - you'll find our library collection in here
- IAG Service - our IAG team are now based in the Student Centre
- A variety of seating areas – with space to study, read and relax. There are now 89 seats in the Student Centre - including 20 work stations with power and USB points for students to use their own laptops and tablets.
- Designated quieter area for study
- Individual work spaces
- Larger tables for group work and relaxing
- Books, magazines, e-resources and DVDs as well as printing and photocopying facilities
- Staff on hand to support your studies and general enquiries
- Specialist software for disabled students
- Our partnership with Holborn Library continues – increasing the resources available to City Lit students. City Lit students can use Holborn Library, for more information see below under 'Using Holborn and other Camden libraries'.
We are excited to be introducing an events programme in the new academic year. These events will be free and will offer a social side to your college experience. Attending our events will give you a great opportunity to meet new friends from across the whole college. Click here to City Lit's current events programme.
To become a member of the Student Centre please visit us on the mezzanine and speak to a member of the team.
The computers are available throughout opening times.
The Student Centre Enquiry Desk is staffed from:
Students can still work in the Student Centre and Library and use the IT facilities outside of staffed hours.
Telephone: 020 7492 2666 / 2548 /2549
Read: our statement of service
Your new Student Centre and Library...
Below: The quieter study zone includes new individual workspaces...
Below: We've added new seating for students to sit and relax...
Using Holborn and other Camden libraries
The nearest library to City Lit is Holborn, at 32-38 Theobalds Road, WC1X 8PA.
Where to find us
Walk: 10-15 minutes’ from City Lit. Walk past Holborn Tube, at second main junction turn right into Theobalds Road. The library is 300 yards down Theobalds Road on the left.
Buses: 38 and 19 buses from Tottenham Court Road pass outside the Library. Tube: Holborn or Chancery Lane
Mon-Thu 10am to 7pm
Fri 10am to 5pm
Sat 11am to 5pm
How to join
Bring in your course enrolment record or City Lit library card. Complete the membership form at the library or on-line at www.camden.gov.uk/libraries (click on Join Camden Libraries).
With your library card, you can use the facilities in all nine Camden Libraries.
All Camden libraries have PCs, scanners, printers and photocopiers. Holborn Library has 29 PCs, two scanners plus B&W printers. Pancras Square Library also has 3 Mac computers. Computer use is free for members with their library card. Printing costs 20p per B&W A4 page; photocopying 15p per A4. All libraries have free Wifi.
Books, DVDs and CDs
Books are free to borrow, but there are charges for late return. You can request a book from any Camden library or from other libraries (including British Library); we charge for this service). Holborn Library has approx 12,000 non-fiction and 8,000 fiction books. Our biggest library (Swiss Cottage) has 75,000 non-fiction and 18,000 fiction. We also have DVDs and CDs; there are charges to borrow these. We now also offer e-books.
All Camden libraries have tables and quiet areas where people can study. Note: this is in high demand during exam time, i.e. April to July.
Camden’s local studies and archives collection is based at Holborn Library.
Tube: Holborn, Chancery Lane
For more information:
020 7974 4444