A short introduction to laser cutting
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
Course Code: VW112
Please choose a course date
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
Understand the process of laser cutting and laser etching. Learn basic drawing skills and developing artwork in Adobe Illustrator software on a Mac, creating shapes, patterns and texture. Produce your artwork or designs from a range of materials leaving with samples and ideas to develop work further.
This course will be delivered online (first 2 sessions) and onsite (final session), and will involve technical demonstrations, presentations, design applications and group discussions.
What will we cover?
• Introduction to basic drawing skills with Illustrator: exploring basic drawing tools, importing images, line trace and creating simple all-over vector based patterns suitable for your project
• Make and evaluate laser cut samples suitable for your designs
• Learn which materials can safely cut by the laser and how to prepare them
• Exporting files digitally preparing for laser cutting
• Advance learners can apply laser-cutting technology to small personal project ideas
• Week one and two will be taught online with week three onsite.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use Illustrator to create a simple vector files suitable for laser cutting/etching
• Prepare and send files to be processed and laser cut
• Produce some samples.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
• This course is suited to beginners with little to no experience but you should know how to use a computer and move files around the system proficiently.
• You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, and tasks. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• This course taught online using zoom with live technical demonstrations for week 1 & 2, and group discussions
• You will need a computer or laptop with a fully updated Google Chrome browser as this works best with access to Adobe Illustrator
• Week three will be face-to face in the studio working on samples to experience laser cutting
• Google Classroom platform will store all tasks/resources and technical information
• You will need to login into our Google classroom before our sessions starts.
• Group discussions and problem solving with Q&A
• We suggest you practise in your own time between sessions to develop skills. You will be able to access all notes at any time during the course and students.
• If you do not have the software City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course. If you require more information, please contact us on email@example.com.
Please check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software. Please visit this link to check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software:
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
• You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth during live sessions
• A notebook and pen is needed to make notes during your class
• Your ideas as any visual references for inspiration such as drawings, artwork and photographs
• Basic materials will be providing like mixed papers, card, simple fabric like cotton and some polyesters and will confirm in class
• However, students may wish to bring their own after discussing and approval from their tutor, if wanting to use leather vegetable tan leather is only suitable.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Laser cutting can be used in a wide variety of contemporary crafts and 2D visual design.Browse our website for courses that might complement what you have learned.