Adobe Lightroom Classic for photography
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VY869
Available start dates
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
This online workshop will introduce you to Adobe Lightroom Classic and support you in how to effectively manage, edit and showcase your photographs in a professional way. Adobe Lightroom Classic is optimized for desktop-focused workflows, including local storage of your photos in files and folders on your computer. It features a smart interface with a high level of functionality and editing features to help support you in adjusting and outputting your digital photographs. Learn how Lightroom Classic helps you to work more efficiently with one image, an entire shoot, or a large image library, and gain an understanding of the relative merits of one stop shop software.
You will need a computer, a tablet or ipad will not suffice. You will need to have access the latest version of Adobe® Creative Cloud, which is what will be used to teach this course. If you do not have the software City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course. If you require a license please contact us at least a week before your course starts at Visualarts@citylit.ac.uk to arrange this. You cannot do the course if you do not have the software installed on your computer.
You must check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software before enrolling, please follow the link below to check.
Please note that versions older than CS6 are not suitable for this course, as there are too many differences and as a result students will not be able to perform some of the same functions on their own computers.
You can request a temporary license from us, however, installing new versions of applications may require you to update the operating system of your computer to support it. These changes can be irreversible, and students must take personal responsibility should they chose to do so.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Importing images
- Cataloguing, including collections, rating, metadata and keywording
- Processing, including retouching, colour temperature, tone curves, black and white, split toning, sharpening etc
- Exporting images, including slideshows, prints and web galleries.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Create catalogues and collections of your images
- Keyword, rate and select your images
- Edit images for colour and tonality, retouch minor blemishes and sharpen
- Create a slide show and web gallery.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is ideal for complete beginners and those with no prior skills or knowledge of Adobe Lightroom Classic. You should have simple IT skills and be confident working on a computer. Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements would be an advantage but is not essential. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a workshop where a tutor will guide you through the learning aims and content through live demonstrations, individual assistance and will set practical exercises with reference notes and additional resources. You will have access to a Google classroom where you will be able to view and download resources, as well as upload your work for feedback.We use video software (Zoom) to meet for classes via webcam.
Google classroom login help.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When you enrol on a course at the City Lit, you are entitled to student discount on Adobe Creative Cloud
Please see the link below:
- You will need to create an Adobe account using your City Lit email address which includes your student number. (This is in the format email@example.com)
- You can access your City Lit email through your supplied Office 365 account.
- When your course finishes and you no longer have access to your student email, the software will continue to function on the installed machine for the remainder of the annual subscription.
- At renewal, you will need to create another Adobe account using your personal email.
- The Adobe account is not accessible to City Lit and technical support is extremely limited as a result.
- It is recommended that you do not use the online storage available on Adobe accounts as access to your work is subject to the continuation of your subscription.
- Adobe sales can be contacted on 0800-028-0148.
Adobe Creative Cloud for Students
Adobe Creative Cloud for Students - system requirements.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We offer a range of photography courses and workshops including both practical and theoretical. Browse the City Lit website for more information and inspiration.
Michael Harding was born in Canada, where he studied cinema and photography at Concordia University, Montréal, before moving to the UK. Since then, he has created striking images of architecture, art, people and landscapes for international blue-chip clients for their use in editorial, advertising and corporate applications. Michael’s work has won many industry awards, notably being selected in the Eleventh Association of Photographers Awards and further receiving a Merit Award in the Seventeenth Association of Photographers Awards. His work was selected for a Highly Commended Award in the Deutsche Bauzeitung “Visions in Architecture” European Architectural Photography prize. His work has been exhibited in both the United Kingdom and Canada. Michael has been Chairman, as well as President, of the Association of Photographers (AOP). The AOP is Europe’s most established organisation for professional photographers, working to ensure greater recognition for all professional photographers, as well as working to positively influence legislators in the UK and Europe for the benefit of all photographers.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.