Advanced writing skills: how to write creatively and expressively (level 2)
Time: 18:15 - 20:45
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: ESWCE01
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is about improving your ability to write creatively and expressively and to develop your awareness of how language affects the reader. You will develop your sensitivity to meaning and will examine different ways to write about and convey moods such as anger, excitement, happiness and anxiety. You will learn how to create different atmospheres and tone in your writing such as fear, anticipation and joy. You will work on how to add humour and surprise to your writing, create mystery, drama and suspense, how to change pace and transition into different scenes. Finally you will examine how to develop your ability to create pictures with your words, how to say more with fewer words and develop your descriptive vocabulary of people and things.
What will we cover?
• improving your ability to write creatively and expressively
• developing your awareness of how language affects the reader.
• how to write about and convey moods such as anger, excitement, happiness and anxiety
• how to create different atmospheres and tones in your writing such as fear, anticipation and joy
• how to add humour and surprise to your writing
• how to create mystery, drama and suspense
• how to change pace and transition into different scenes
• how to create pictures with your words
• how to say more with fewer words
• developing your descriptive vocabulary of people and things.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
•write creatively and expressively
• show an awareness of how language affects the reader
• write about and convey moods such as anger, excitement, happiness and anxiety
• create different atmospheres and tones in your writing such as fear, anticipation and joy
• add humour and surprise to your writing
• create mystery, drama and suspense
• change pace and transition into different scenes
• create pictures with your words
• say more with fewer words
• use a wide of range of descriptive vocabulary of people and things.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for advanced level ESOL learners (L2+) who can communicate effectively especially writing functional texts but who wish to take their writing up to the next level and to really use the language creatively and expressively whether for work or general purposes.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Reading stories, telling stories: vocabulary, discussion, expression (level 2)
• English for professionals: C1 Advanced (Cambridge English: Advanced, CAE)
• English for professionals: C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Proficiency, CPE )
• English for professionals: becoming fully proficient
• English for professionals: how to make your writing clear, concise and flowing (advanced ESOL)
•English for professionals: communicating, selling, negotiating and managing in business and work (Level 2
• English Communication Skills for professionals: finding the right word in business (advanced)
• Grammar in practice: advanced (level 2+)
• Prepare for IELTS and improve your academic writing
• Develop your confidence in writing: sentence formation, grammar and punctuation in everyday writing (level 1-2)
There are also courses for very fluent and first language English speakers, which might help you. Such as:
• Develop your confidence in writing: finding the right tone and improving your style (level 1-2)
• Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
There also many maths, digital and office skills courses you can do.
Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for more details.