Advancing your practice (for speech and language therapists)
Time: 10:00 - 16:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: XS522
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
As a part of your continuing professional development, this course is for speech and language therapists working with adults or young people who stammer wishing to develop their practice. It will provide opportunity to update your knowledge and learn from peers.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Evidence based practice
• Opportunity to review and discuss recent research
• Opportunity to gain ideas and problem solve through sharing current practice.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify how current research findings can influence and develop practice
• Identify at least one way to advance current practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to be a qualified speech and language therapist and have experience of working with adults or young people who stammer.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will read papers before the class for discussion. Learning will be mainly through peer discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You could attend another advancing your practice course as each one will review different research and be a unique learning experience. You could enrol on other courses relevant to working with people who stammer such as Working with Adults who Stammer; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy; Effective Counselling Skills.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.