Altered states of consciousness: Ways to healing and insight
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Look at how a variety of therapeutic approaches work with altered states of consciousness to release trauma an revitalise our lives.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: PG810
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This day offers a brief overview of working with consciousness though altered states
Including ancient cross-cultural healing methods and modern approaches to the work. It explores how working with trance states can offer deep benefit to the therapeutic process as well as to self development.
This course it facilitated by a very experienced integrative counsellor and shamanic practitioner who teaches shamanic journeying and healing.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Ordinary and non ordinary states of consciousness in shamanism and other therapies
• Safety and ethics when working with people in altered states.
• The right left brain balance and function, relating to trance, healing and insight.
• The mind body split/connection as illness and resolution
• Working to integrate the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system
• Advantages and limitations of working with trance
• Comparative links to other models in counselling and psychotherapy
• Development and method of core shamanic trance work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Outline the and uses of altered state work within the context of therapeutic practice and personal development
• List the main approaches that work with trance for therapy/ self development
• Describe how the practice of core shamanic trance-work can be used to receive healing and gain insight.
• Have a basic understanding of how the mind and body reacts/releases trauma.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for learning and self development, it is not a therapy course although the
Experiential exercises may have a therapeutic effect.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is a balance of presented material and experiential learning, including tutor talk with discussion, questions and answers and clinical case material. Hand-outs and visual material will be used as well as experiential exercises. There will be several opportunities to participate in exercises which lightly alter your state of consciousness. You will be supported to continue finding out about the subject if you feel motivated to do so.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
None. It is recommended that you bring a notepad and pen to take notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
An introduction to the unconscious
An introduction to Psychosynthesis
NLP: The Healing Power of the Mind
Free Writing, Exploring connections with thoughts & feelings
Exploring your dreams.