An introduction to drawn animation
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VK580
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
On this practical course you will be introduced to the professional techniques of DRAWN ANIMATION. You will be taken through a range of techniques with stage by stage demonstrations on how to apply different drawing methods and styles. You will also learn the key principals of animation focusing on the use of loops and cycles in drawn animation. With professional guidance throughout you will make your own short animated sequences showcasing a range of processes, invaluable for your animation showreel.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The course is designed to introduce you to the various styles and techniques of Drawn Animation. Over the two days of the workshop you will explore:
• Cycles and loops in animation
• Taking a line for a walk
• Morphing and free style animation
• Simple key posing character animation
• A range of examples of different types of professional drawn animation
• How to animate (touching on a number of principals including Timing and movement)
• Introduction to Dragon Frame basic capturing software
• Basic use of Premiere Pro for assembling clips
• Animating and producing your own short sequence to showcase your animation skills.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- animate using a range of different styles of drawn animation
- understand how to capture your animation using a digital camera and capture software.
- produce your own drawn animation sequences
- have a better understanding what makes a good animation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginner’s class but this course is suitable for those who wish to polish up their skills or try a new technique of drawn animation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, individual assistance and some hand-outs. Any work outside the class is optional. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Film courses.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
For this course all materials will be provided but if you prefer to bring your own pencils and rubbers.
Please bring a USB stick for the class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of courses in digital and traditional animation techniques, including After effects, Cinema 4D lite, Animate CC and Photoshop. We also offer courses in Film making, illustration and drawing if you wish to improve your film making, editing , sound recording , character design, illustration or drawing skills.