An introduction to Word 2016
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: CWP09
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to create a well-written and well-presented Word 2016 documents. We will focus on how to create and write short documents such as letters and forms so you can format them correctly, arrange the text and layout appropriately and add footers and headers and other layout features. We will look at how to use tables, insert them into documents and format them. We will also practise inserting images and altering those images. Finally, we will practise printing documents so that the documents maintain their formatting and managing your files so they are easy to find. Throughout the course, there will be an emphasis on making sure your files are safe and private.
What will we cover?
• Identifying and recogning the key features of a Word window
• Creating, opening and saving documents such as letters and basic templates
• Entering and editing text by inserting, deleting, moving, copying and pasting it.
• Formatting text by changing font type, font size, font colour, bold, italics and alignment.
• Changing the page layout and orientation including adding headers and footer
• Creating and formatting simple tables inside a document.
• Inserting and re-sizing an image
• Using spell check and grammar check so your documents are accurate
• Printing documents so they maintain their formatting and fit on to the page correctly
• Organising your files so they are easy to find
• Maintaining security of your files at all times.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use all the main essential features of Word to create attractive and accurate documents such as letters
• identify the key features of a Word window
• create, open and save files
• enter and edit text by inserting, deleting, moving, copying and pasting
• format text by changing font type, font size, font colour, bold, italics and alignment so your documents are easy to read and look attractive
• create and edit documents with appropriate orientation and layouts including use of headers and footers
• create a simple table and insert it into a document
• insert and re-size an image and place it in the correct place within a document
• using spell check and grammar check so your documents are accurate
• print documents so they maintain their formatting and fit onto the page correctly.
• organise your files so they are easy to find
• maintain the security of your files at all time
• develop the foundational skills that can be applied to the other MS applications like Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is a beginners course and keyboard and mouse skill is an essential requirement for this level. You will need to self assess your suitability for this course. You can call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 for more advice.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional cost attached to this course. You will need your own pens to make your notes and a folder. You should also being a USB memory stick.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a number of courses you can do at the same time or progress onto. Word 2016 for the workplace (intermediate) is a direct follow-on. However, other courses include:
• Introduction to PowerPoint 2016
• IT skills for the office: an introduction
• Introduction to Outlook 2016
• Introduction to Excel 2016
• Excel 2016: Essentials
• Touch typing and keyboard skills
• Making sense of Windows 10
• How to be an Administrator: the essentials
• ECDL Level 1 (with a qualification)
• Office 365: an introduction
We also have a series of Complete course for beginners in using the computer, the Internet use and emailing. These are especially suitable if you wish to increase your confidence in digital skills.
Your tutor will advise you on the best course. If you wish to do a course with a qualification, please call 020 7492 2511 to arrange a pre-course assessment.