Arabic 3 lower: module 1
Time: 10:15 - 12:15
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: LA311
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course aims to improve your intermediate level competence in all skills so that you can communicate, read, write and speak with increasing grammatical accuracy.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
In this term, we will cover studying at university, works, eating and health, transport, travelling experiences and writing a memo.
Grammar: comparative and superlative, negating statements, relative pronouns, sentence order, plural, verb conjugation , root system. In this term, we will cover studying at university, works, eating and health, transport, travelling experiences, writing a memo.
Grammar: comparative and superlative, negating statements, relative pronouns, sentence order, plural, verb conjugation , root system.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Talk about eating and a healthy lifestyle
- Ask for information and talk about daily life , travel, illness and diet .
- Ask questions in a formal/informal way
- Describe your experience in different situations
- Understand the spoken language especially the Levantine accent
- Write and read short texts , memo , descriptions and basic information
- Improve your speaking through using grammar structures correctly.
- Develop strategies for coping with unfamiliar language or unexpected responses, such as asking for repetition or clarification.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should have studied Arabic for approximately 3 years recently or have equivalent competence in the language.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide, or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Our courses are characterised by spoken interaction and communication. Typical activities include pair work, group work, role plays and games. A range of resources will be used to support your learning including presentations, hand-outs, and audio-visual material.
Homework is highly recommended to consolidate learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Arabiyyat Al -Naas book 1 chapters 10-13
Please try: The European Bookshop www.europeanbookshop.com/setbooks (020 7734 5259) or Grant and Cutler at Foyles-www.foyles.co.uk/languages (020 7440 3248).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Arabic 3 lower module 2.