Arabic holiday kit
Time: 11:00 - 15:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LBA00
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
This course aims to enable students to communicate effectively in Arabic while on holiday.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Greetings, introductions, numbers and prices, ordering food and drinks, finding your way, at the hotel, using transport and asking the time, at the chemist, cultural topics.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have a go at a simple conversation when you’re out & about-say hello & goodbye, give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where you are from etc.)
- buy items in shops, ask about prices
- order food & drinks & ask for the bill
- ask for directions
- use and recognise numbers
- asking for basic information at the hotel
- buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
- describe common symptoms at the chemist / at the doctor
- get cultural advice (e.g. tipping, paying in a café which may be different from the UK).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge required, suitable for complete beginners.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level.
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Material provided by the teacher.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any beginners course in September. Contact languages for any advice firstname.lastname@example.org.
Micheline Antonian was born and raised in Alexandria, Egypt and moved to the UK in the early 1990s. Soon after she worked for 20+ years as the Regional Director, Arab Region, for the largest women's development NGO in the world. She graduated from Westminster University with a Bachelor's degree in Arabic language and holds a TAFL certificate (Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language). Her work and frequent travelling have broadened her understanding of cultural contexts, as well as the evolution of spoken Arabic. She became familiar with a wide range of different dialects and has developed an appreciation of the cultural differences between the west and Arab world. The more she learnt, the more she realised that teaching the Arabic language to adults would help them discover and appreicate the Arab cultural richness and diversity. She is passionate in guiding students to the same excitements and discoveries that she had found! Her teaching focuses on developing speaking and communicative skills, in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, using different classroom activities, while ensuring each and every student accomplishes the goals they set for themselves.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.