Arabic reading group
Time: 13:30 - 15:00
Arab culture? Come and join us to discuss a range of Arabic short stories.You will need to be able to read the alphabet, words and phrases to be able to join this course.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LA232
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
If you want to start reading in Arabic to improve your understanding, learn more vocabulary and build up confidence in pronunciation, then come and join us to practice reading. You will read and discuss a range of simple Arabic short stories familiar in Arabic culture.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
A range of works of literature in Arabic. During each session we will discuss various aspects of the story in
question: themes, plot, characters, style, originality etc. We will also discuss the structure of the sentences, vowels and case ending to improve pronunciation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the main ideas of the story.
- Identifying the key words, characters and events within a story.
- Expand your vocabulary and knowledge of common phrases.
- Improve your understanding and reading skills.
- Improve your pronunciation and fluency when you read.
- Be able to tell the story by using your own words and the illustration of the story.
- Understand the order of the grammar structure in the sentence, verbs, adjectives, adverb and case endings.
- Express your opinion and participate in group discussions.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have studied the alphabet before and be able to read individual words and phrases. If you have studied at beginner’s level module 2, you can join this course. Also, you should have:
- an enthusiasm for reading short Arabic texts, for discussing in Arabic in large and small groups, where you
will be expected to take an interest in the responses of the other students about the work discussed
- the willingness and ability to do some reading and preparation outside the class
- a commitment to acquiring and developing ways of understanding the structure of the language.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In the first lesson, the teacher will give out photocopies of the first story and introduce the course. The teacher will use their own materials and will teach using pair/groupwork, roleplay and interactive games to deliver each session.You will be able to have access to the materials by using Google Classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A notebook for taking notes and making your own list of vocabulary.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The tutor will advise you at the end of the course.