Arabic writing for beginners
Time: 10:30 - 16:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LAW1112
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
Learn how to form and shape the letters of the Arabic alphabet progressing onto connecting letters to form words and short sentences.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The course will cover the basic foundations for writing in Arabic, letter formation, shape patterns and word families.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Write your name in Arabic
- Write the letters of the alphabet in Arabic
- Join letters of the alphabet to form words
- Sound out letters and basic words in Arabic.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students need have no prior knowledge of Arabic. Absolute beginner students are welcome.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions in English and be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc)
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Arabic beginners: module 1.