Artists moving image practice: personal project
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VK556
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course focuses on developing your own creative Moving Image works through an initial series of short workshops which facilitate and frame explorations and experimentation within your own emerging arts practice.
Beginning with a series of modules, examining and exploring techniques used within moving image practice, you will develop a series of experimental short works or a single moving image project. Modules include formal and experimental camera technique, editing, Chroma key, split screen, found footage and sound.
The course is experimental in its approach, but encourages and facilitates critical thinking and creative methodologies in the making and development of new Moving Image work.
This course would suit practicing contemporary artists looking to explore their own Moving Image practice in a supported studio environment, using a combination of group discussion, presentation of works in progress, and one to one tutorials.
What will we cover?
- An awareness of historical and contemporary moving image practice
- Editing Techniques and tools in Final Cut Pro with reference to your individual projects
- Shooting with digital cameras within your developing artistic practice
- Experimentation with Split Screen techniques
- Experimentation with Found Footage within your developing artistic practice
- Experimentation with Chroma Key within your developing artistic practice.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use basic editing techniques in Final Cut Pro relevant to your personal project
- Explore a range of moving image experiments
- Make an Artist Moving image work
- Research historical and contemporary Artist Moving Image work
- Situate your work within some historical and contemporary Artist Moving Image work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an advanced course. You do not have to have experience in film making but are expected to be engaged in Fine Art practice and have an awareness of contemporary Moving Image work. Basic computer skills are essential.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in film making and editing work,.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can further develop your film making skills in VG259 Digital video editing: stage 3, VG237 Film editing: theory, demonstration and discussion and a range of film making, animation and editing courses.