Assertiveness and hearing loss
Time: 18:30 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: GL404
Duration: 5 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is for people who have a hearing loss and who sometimes find it hard to ask others for the support they need. This short course will help you to develop your assertiveness skills and gain confidence.
The class is taught live on Zoom.
To access the live class you will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook). Please note a tablet or smart phone is not suitable for this class. The screen size is too small. It will limit your ability to lipread and participate fully in class.
We will contact you by email with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- assertive and non-assertive behaviour and how it affects people with a hearing loss.
- strategies for good communication, including repair strategies.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- identify non assertive and assertive behaviour.
- demonstrate an ability to use assertiveness skills in different situations.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will have an acquired hearing loss and use spoken English to communicate with others.
You will be able to read and understand simple English sentences, including instructions.
This course will be delivered in spoken English and not sign language.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A variety of teaching methods will be used in each session including presentation, demonstration, practical work and role play. Role play will be an important tool for learning on this course. You will work in large groups, smaller groups and pairs. Information may be shared by means of handouts, demonstrations and discussions.
We aim to make all our teaching accessible for students with an acquired hearing loss, whether it is an online course or face to face.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a pen and notebook to the session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You will be given information about other courses that may be relevant e.g. Living well with hearing loss, Manage your tinnitus.