Become more lipreadable
Time: 10:30 - 12:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: GL600
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This course is for people who know, live with or work with a hard of hearing or deaf person who needs to lipread them to try to understand conversation. This course is a practical workshop where you can find out how lipreading works and how you can make some small adjustments in order to become more ‘lipreadable’.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don’t have a computer. The classes work best using a desktop device. You can access the class using a tablet or phone but the screen size will limit your ability to lipread.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- the process of lipreading – all the different skills that are involved
- environmental factors that can affect lipreading
- communication strategies that facilitate lipreading.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- recognise how lipreading works
- identify factors which make lipreading easier or more difficult
- use strategies to make your self easier to lipread.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need to be able to read simple English sentences and follow instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A variety of teaching methods will be used in this session including presentation, demonstration and practical work. You will work in large groups, smaller groups and pairs. Information may be shared by means of handouts, demonstrations and discussions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No, though you may like to bring a notebook and pen.