Becoming confident and secure with mobile data: safely managing and syncing your files and accounts across your computer, smartphone and tablet
Time: 17:45 - 21:00
Location: Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
Sorry, this course is now full
Course Code: CFM02
Duration: 4 sessions (over 2 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course focuses on how different digital devices communicate with one another. We will look at file management across different devices, how you can protect and secure your data on multiple devices, how to download and store data on your phone or the cloud and sync your mobile devices. You will never lose a photo, song, contact or document again!
What will we cover?
• using and understanding key terminology and jargon
• creating an online storage account on your smartphone
• synchronising your phone to an account or a computer
• backing up and restoring your smartphone
•identifying the advantages and disadvantages of using cloud storage rather than on a hard drive
• creating synchronised passwords or phrases
• determining the different operating systems and the type of synchronising that can be used.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be confident in your shared use multiple digital devices
• use and understand key terminology and jargon
• create an online storage account on your smartphone
• synchronise your phone to an account or a computer
• back up and restore your smartphone
• identify the advantages and disadvantages of using cloud storage rather than a hard drive or local storage
• create synchronised passwords or phrases
• determine the different operating systems and the type of synchronising that can be used.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for those who are already using a PC and mobile devices but have become confused about their file and data management. If you need to know the essentials of file management and smartphone use, it would be good idea to complete our Becoming confident in file management on your PC and Learning to use your smartphone (Android) courses.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your android device and you might also be find it helpful to have your other mobile devices you use e.g. laptop or tablet
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a folder to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Complete beginners: becoming confident on your computer and online
• Becoming confident with digital skills: on your computer and online (beginner)
• Becoming confident with online communication: Zoom
• Learning to use your smartphone (Android)
• Learning to use your iPhone
• Becoming confident in file management and Windows 10 on your PC (beginners)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and working with files (OneDrive)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and working with files (Google)
• Becoming confident in digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and smartphone
• Becoming a MORE confident digital citizen: online and on your computer
• Making sense of Windows 11
• Digital skills for the workplace: managing, storing and sharing data and files (intermediate)
• Business skills: how to collaborate using OneDrive and SharePoint (intermediate)
• Business skills: how to collaborate with Microsoft Teams (intermediate)
There also many English, maths and office skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / (telephone temporarily unavailable) for more details. Some of these include:
• Maths for life and work (foundation)
• Maths for life and work (level 1)
• Becoming confident in algebra: problem-solving with equations (level 1-2)
• Becoming confident in numbers: mental maths (level 1-2)
• Business administration: maths for administrators (level 1-2)
• Becoming data literate: how to understand the data all around you (level 1-2)
• Business Administration (with digital skills): English communication skills for administrators and office workers (level 1-2)
• Business Administration (with digital skills): English communication skills in a business environment (level 2).