Becoming confident on Word 365 (beginner)
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Location: Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
Course Code: CWP14
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to create a well-written and well-presented Word documents. We will focus on how to create and write short documents such as letters and forms so you can format them correctly, arrange the text and layout appropriately and add footers and headers and other layout features. We will look at how to use tables, insert them into documents and format them. We will also practise inserting images and altering those images. Finally, we will practise printing documents so that the documents maintain their formatting and managing your files so they are easy to find. Throughout the course, there will be an emphasis on making sure your files are safe and private.
What will we cover?
Depending on the needs of students, we will some or all of the following:
•identifying and recognising the key features of a Word window
• how to create, open and save documents such as letters and basic templates
•how to enter and edit text by inserting, deleting, moving, copying and pasting it.
•how to make the text look good by formatting such as changing font type, font size, font colour, bold, italics and alignment.
•how to lay out a letter and other documents, change the page layout and orientation, adding headers and footers
•how to creating and format simple tables inside a document.
•how to insert and re-size an image
•how to use using spell check and grammar check so your documents are accurate
•how to printing documents so they maintain their formatting and fit on to the page correctly
•how to organise your files so they are easy to find
•how to maintaining the security of your files at all times.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
You should be able to do some or all of the following:
• use the main essential features of Word to create attractive and accurate documents such as letters
• identify the key features of a Word window
• create, open and save files
• enter and edit text by inserting, deleting, moving, copying and pasting
• format text by changing font type, font size, font colour, bold, italics and alignment so your documents are easy to read and look attractive
• create and edit documents with appropriate orientation and layouts including use of headers and footers
• create a simple table and insert it into a document
• insert and re-size an image and place it in the correct place within a document
• using spell check and grammar check so your documents are accurate
• print documents so they maintain their formatting and fit onto the page correctly.
• organise your files so they are easy to find
• maintain the security of your files at all time
• develop the foundational skills that can be applied to the other MS applications like Excel and PowerPoint.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is a beginners' course in Word so no familiarity with Word will be assumed. However, you will need some basic digital skills before starting this course. If you need these, please join either of the following courses:
• Complete beginners: becoming confident on your computer and online
• Becoming confident with digital skills: on your computer and online (beginner)
You can call our administrator on (telephone temporarily unavailable) for more advice.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Becoming confident in Excel 365
• Becoming confident on Outlook 365
• Becoming confident on PowerPoint 365
• Becoming MORE confident on PowerPoint 365 (intermediate)
• Digital skills for the workplace: using Excel (foundation)
• Becoming confident with online communication: Zoom
• Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
• Becoming confident with mobile data: managing and syncing your files across your laptop, smartphone and tablet
• Becoming confident in digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and smartphone
• Becoming confident in file management on your PC
• Making sense of Windows 10
• Becoming a MORE confident digital citizen: online and on your computer
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating (Google)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating (One Drive)
There also many English, maths and office skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / (telephone temporarily unavailable) for more details.