Becoming confident with mobile data: managing and syncing your files across your laptop, smartphone and tablet
Time: 14:00 - 17:00
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CFM01
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course focuses on how different digital devices 'communicate' with one another. We will look at file management across different devices, how you can protect and secure your data on multiple devices, how to download and store data on your phone or the cloud and sync your mobile devices. You will never lose a photo, song, contact or document again!
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• using and understanding key terminology and jargon
• creating an online storage account on your smartphone
• synchronising your phone to an account or a computer
• backing up and restoring your smartphone
• explaining the advantages and disadvantages of using cloud storage rather that a computer or a tablet.
• creating synchronised passwords or phrases
• determining the different operating systems and the type of synchronising that can be used.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be confident in your shared use multiple digital devices
• use and understand key terminology and jargon
• create an online storage account on your smartphone
• synchronise your phone to an account or a computer
• back up and restore your smartphone
• explain the advantages and disadvantages of using cloud storage rather that a computer or a tablet.
• create synchronised passwords or phrases
• determine the different operating systems and the type of synchronising that can be used.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for those who are already using a PC and mobile devices but have become confused about their file and data management. If you need to know the essentials of file management and smartphone use, it would be good idea to complete our Becoming confident in file management on your PC and Learning to use your smartphone (Android) courses.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your android device and you might also be find it helpful to have your other mobile devices you use e.g. laptop or tablet
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a folder to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Becoming confident with online communication: Zoom
• Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
• Becoming confident with mobile data: managing and syncing your files across your laptop, smartphone and tablet
• Becoming confident in digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and smartphone
• Becoming confident in file management on your PC
• Making sense of Windows 10
• Becoming a MORE confident digital citizen: online and on your computer
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating (Google)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating (One Drive)
• Learning to use your iPhone
• Learning to use your smartphone (Android)
• Becoming confident on Office 365 and its most important apps: an introduction
• Becoming confident in Excel 365
• Becoming confident on Outlook 365
• Becoming confident on Word 365
• Becoming confident on PowerPoint 365
There also many English, maths and office skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for more details.