Calligraphy and illumination
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
materials are included. Left handers are welcome.
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VE231
Please choose a course date
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
You will learn how to construct the letterforms and design finished pieces including illuminated letters using colour and gold leaf.
What will we cover?
An introduction to Italic minuscule and Capitals, using various sizes. The course will also cover the basics of layout and design, paper trials, illuminated letters with the use of colour and gold leaf. You can study other styles of writing such as Foundational hand or if you are more experienced you can work on your own project.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate the basics of italic minuscule.
- Develop capitals in various sizes of lettering, word spacing and layouts.
- Design and produce a finished piece.
For more advanced learners:
- Write or combine with different lettering styles such as Foundational hand.
- Design and produce illuminated letters using paint and progressing to gold leaf.
For more advanced learners:
1. Use Italic letterforms, Uncils, Versals and Copperplate lettering
2. Write illuminated letters using paint and progressing to gold leaf.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
From complete beginners to intermediate, progressing to advanced levels. The course emphasis is on good
letterforms and innovative design. Each student will be given the confidence to develop at their own pace and
not to feel pressured to produce quantity rather than quality.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group and individual demonstrations supported by discussions and visual references.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Some tools are available for purchase from the department, and advice on buying equipment will be given by the tutor during the course. Most materials can be obtained from the tutor.
Need art supplies? Our partner London Graphic Centre has everything you need from pencils to printing services, at 15% off.
To get an LGC discount card, students will need to show proof/ confirmation of enrolment of them being a student at City Lit. You can apply for our card in-store or by simply emailing email@example.com with a scan or photo of relevant confirmation. The student discount does not apply to products that are already discounted or on offer. More information can be found here- https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/student-discounts/.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other suitable courses in calligraphy and lettering include:
- VE231 or VE240 Calligraphy and illumination
- VE258 Calligraphy: modern copperplate
- VE290 Calligraphy class: illuminated lettering
- VE350 Calligraphy: modern copperplate
- VE285 Calligraphy for beginners and improvers.