Cardio core, strength and more
Time: 09:45 - 10:45
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FCM04
Available start dates
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
Cardiovascular (raised heart rate) exercise is essential for optimal heart health and general wellbeing. Whatever your age and fitness level, the heart muscle can be improved by regular cardio exercise. This course also includes strength work using stretch bands and light weights to improve upper and lower body and build lean muscle mass. Mat based exercises are learned and practiced to strengthen the core. Balance coordination exercise will complete the total body workout. The exercise is done with some feel-good music, ranging from dazzling disco to the legendary sounds of Motown and even a little Salsa.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will learn how to exercise to music, with a number of low impact cardio workout exercises to build core strength, flexibility and balance.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Improve your general cardio fitness and strength
• Correctly perform different exercises with music
• Improve core strength and coordination
• Improve mood and sense of wellbeing
• Gain a better understanding of which muscles are being used to perform a certain exercise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for all levels of fitness and abilities, and all ages.
You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and show a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor (if needed). If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Practical class work, following tutor’s verbal instructions and demonstration
- Use of images, repetition and some anatomical knowledge
- Correction and some one-to-one guidance from the tutor
Although there is no specific work set outside of the class, students will gain most benefit if exercises are performed regularly and practised between classes.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No other costs. Please wear comfortable clothing and footwear and bring a bottle of water. You would need a non-slip mat to practice on, and some stretch bands or weights (or alternatives, such as small water bottles or cans).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can enrol on any other movement course from our programme.
Eveltos began his career in fitness and wellbeing in 1990, the focus was delivering classes and workshops in London health clubs.Over the years he has continued to develop his teaching skills by adding Pilates and in 2016, moved to adult eduaction by completing a programme for over 50's health and wellbeing. It included the latest reseach from Birmingham University on the affects of ageing on our bodies and what exercise could to do to help and improve health. "It has been incredible to see the progress in students fitness and mobility at my City Lit courses, especially from students with limited movement or who have never exercised before."
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.