Time: 10:30 - 13:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LCW03
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
The course aims to help your to gain a basic understanding of Chinese characters progressing onto forming words and short sentences.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Evolution of Chinese characters
- Strokes and stroke orders
- Structure of Chinese characters
- Different types of characters
- Different styles of character writing
- Typing Chinese characters on your phone
- Tracing characters
- Using a dictionary.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Identify radicals of some characters
Write some basic characters
Write some basic sentences
Type some basic sentences on your phone
Look up words in dictionary.
Study skills for learning characters.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for complete beginners.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Our courses are characterised by spoken interaction and communication. Typical activities include pair work, group work, role plays and games. A range of resources will be used to support your learning including presentations, hand-outs, and audio-visual material.
Homework is highly recommended to consolidate learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please discuss with your tutor.