Chinese Spring Festival and Customs
Time: 10:30 - 12:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
- Course Code: LCW04
- Dates: 27/01/24 - 27/01/24
- Time: 10:30 - 12:30
- Taught: Sat, Daytime
- Duration: 1 session
- Location: Online
- Tutor: Xiaolan Bi
Course Code: LCW04
Duration: 1 session
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will help you to understand the history, customs and food of the Chinese New Year. You will also have a chance to learn some essential phrases to greet people during Chinese New Year, draw the Chinese lucky sign (the Chinese character ‘blessing’), and sing the ‘Happy New Year’ song along with the teacher. This course is perfect for all levels.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Brief introduction to Chinese New Year
- Chinese zodiacs
- Festive activities
- Food and traditional dishes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- say a few Chinese zodiac signs in Chinese
- recognise some important activites, dishes and objects for the Chinese New Year
- greet others during the Chinese New Year
- write the lucky sign to hang on the door
- sing the ‘Chinese New Year’ song.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for all levels.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Our courses are characterised by spoken interaction and communication. Typical activities include pair work,
group work, role plays and games. A range of resources will be used to support your learning including
presentations, hand-outs, and audio-visual material.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Materials will be provided by the tutor. However, in order to write the lucky sign to hang on the door, please have a piece of red paper ready.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please check with the tutor to find out about the range of Chinese language classes and workshops we offer.