City Lit Pro: Java bootcamp
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CJV09
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course equips you with the core skills expected of a beginning software developer. It integrates the courses listed below, augmented by a general orientation to working in software development.
• Beginners Java
• Intermediate Java
• Advanced Java
By the end of the course you should have the contextual knowledge to use Java to program an application consisting of several interacting objects and using various Java libraries. You should be able to discuss with confidence core Java concepts including abstraction, encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism and have an understanding of UML class diagrams.
In the process, you will complete many exercises and develop several mini-projects.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• What Java is and what it isn’t
• Programming environment
• General syntax
• Data types – primitive, reference
• Decision making (if, else, if else)
• Iteration (for, for Each, while)
• String manipulation
• Methods, method signatures and method modifiers
• Data structures: Arrays, ArrayLists, Maps and Sets
• Classes and objects
• The four pillars of OOP
¿ Super class and sub-class
¿ Types of inheritance
¿ Interfaces, Abstract classes
¿ Access modifiers – public, private, protected, package(default)
¿ Run-time and compile-time polymorphism
¿ Overriding and Overloading
• UML class diagrams
• SOLID principles
• Equality and the equals method
• Collections, sorting, Comparable, Comparator
• Files, URLS and Exceptions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use a wide variety of standard data structures in your code and explain the intended purpose of each.
• Organise your code using Java functions and describe good and bad practices for function design.
• Use Object Oriented Programming to create custom data types (classes).
• Learn how to implement algorithms for sorting and application specific problems.
• Use UML class diagrams to visually represent your design. Develop code based on UML diagrams.
• Interact with external resources such as files and URLs.
• Tackle small to medium-sized Java coding projects with confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course takes you from a beginner level with no previous knowledge of Java to our advanced level. It is beneficial if you have used another programming language and know the basics of programming. You will need to have good digital skills, and be confident using the internet and managing files on your computer.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
We will use a mixture of presentation, discussion, problem-solving and guided project work in class.
This demanding, fast-paced course requires commitment. You will be expected to do much of the work on your coding exercises and project outside class. The more time you can put into it the better the end result will be. Homework challenges each week will help you consolidate the technical material.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs. A pen and paper to take notes. Your own computer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.