Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: ME110A
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is an introduction to the solo and ensemble repertoire. Technique, articulation, musicianship and tone
quality are taught through jazz, classical and popular styles.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- All aspects of clarinet technique - breathing, articulation, fingering, tone etc. - at grade 4-5 standard
- solo and ensemble repertoire in a wide variety of styles
- sight reading
- the art of interpretation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate improved aspects of clarinet technique
- Interpret a wider variety of repertoire and styles
- Demonstrate improved reading skills
- Demonstrate progress in the art of ensemble playing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should be able to play Bb clarinet to approximately grade 4-5 standard, and should be at ease with note-reading.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes are taught online through tutor explanation and demonstration, group playing along with the tutor and individual playing. Sessions will also include class discussion, plus embedded aural skills and theoretical study.
A regular practise routine is essential to make progress you will need to practise regularly outside class (ideally at least 20 minutes 4 times per week).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your own Bb clarinet and supply of reeds. Most materials will be provided by the tutor via Google Classroom, but you may need to purchase some sheet music for solo repertoire.
Please check our page on Where to buy music and instruments which lists lists some of our local music shops and includes specific advice on clarinets.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Clarinet 5B. You may take Clarinet level 5 courses for as many terms as you wish, and progress to Clarinet repertoire workshop or Clarinet: advanced workshop and ensembles when ready. Your tutor will advise.
You may also be interested in Ensembles, Musician theory and musicianship, or