Clarinet repertoire workshop
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: ME148A
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course covers the technique and musicianship relevant to the pieces taught. Associated techniques such as finger dexterity and tone projection are taught through the use of studies and exercises in this friendly and enjoyable class.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Two or three pieces are studied each term covering musical and technical aspects
- Weekly scales or technical exercises are set to work on breathing, tone, articulation, intonation, or the altissimo register
- There is always discussion in class to which all the students contribute
- Ensemble pieces appropriate to Zoom are studied as an enjoyable and sociable online musical experience.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Be more familiar with clarinet repertoire from musical and technical perspectives
- Play and perform with greater technical ability
- Demonstrate an awareness of elements of good performance (musicianship/sensitivity)
- Apply knowledge of new and existing techniques to clarinet playing
- Perform with confidence in solo and group playing
- Participate in a successful end-of-term performance.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The repertoire is grade 5 standard and upwards, including Classical, Romantic and modern composers. We will work through appropriate studies and other technical work as well as ensemble parts. Students should have an appropriate level of technique before enrolling: a good basic sound, ability to play comfortably and fluently in the middle and chalumeau registers, with some experience of the altissimo register.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Learning as a group online, playing along with the tutor plus individually, both muted and unmuted. Students will be encouraged to record themselves throughout the term to help with individual assessment and progress. A smart phone recording is fine.
A regular practice routine outside class time is essential to make progress in this course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your own Bb clarinet and supply of reeds. Most materials will be provided by the tutor via Google Classroom, but you may need to puchase sheet music for solo repertoire.
Please check our page on Where to buy music and instruments which lists lists some of our local music shops and includes specific advice on clarinets.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may take Clarinet repertoire workshop for as many terms as you wish, and progress to Clarinet advanced workshop when read. Your tutor will advise. You may also be interested in Ensembles, Musician theory and musicianship, or