Classical guitar 1A
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
Location: Keeley Street
This course has now started
- Course Code: ME129
- Dates: 19/01/24 - 22/03/24
- Time: 18:00 - 19:30
- Taught: Fri, Evening
- Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
- Tutor: Jeff Rodrigues
Course Code: ME129
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
You will establish establish the essential technique of finger style guitar playing in different styles of music and learn some improvisation techniques. You will also learn how to read music notation and learn about playing by ear.
What will we cover?
- Techniques including: single note playing, free stroke and rest stroke
- Music notation to support your playing
- Learning and playing some selected scales (C, G, Am, Em, F) and arpeggio sequences (Em, Am B7)
- Basic chord shapes (Em, Am, B7, E)
- Simple repertoire
- An introduction to composition
- Improvising short phrases
- Playing simple phrases by ear
- Spanish, 19th Century, South American and popular melodies.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of simple chord shapes
- Play a number of chords
- Play a limited number of scales - major and minor, arpeggio and chromatic scales
- Play repertoire learned during the term
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of music theory equivalent to grade 1.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for complete beginners; no previous knowledge or experience with the guitar is required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group and individual work, reading and practising pieces in class, with teacher demonstration and performance.
You will need to practise the music and techniques regularly between classes.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own nylon strung guitar. All music materials will be supplied by your tutor. A google classroom will also be used where music sheets, audio and video resources, plus your own postings, are lodged.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course will continue to 1B next term.
Portuguese-Canadian guitarist Jeff Rodrigues is a London based musician and music educator fluent in both Classical and Jazz fields. His career as a concert recitalist and ensemble player has included performances in both Classical and Flamenco settings, and the release of three recordings - two dedicated to 20th century music, and another to 16th century music performed on Vihuela de mano. Additionally, he works as a jazz guitarist in the London area and beyond, performing in settings ranging from accompanying vocalists, to various instrumental combinations. Jeff studied guitar in his native Toronto, and holds a BMus and FRSM in Guitar Performance.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.