Classical guitar 1C
Time: 19:45 - 21:15
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: ME129C
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
You will establish a technique of finger style guitar playing in different styles of music and learn some simple improvisation techniques. You will continue to read music notation and learn about playing by ear.
Tutor: Tony Rowden [external website].
What will we cover?
- Techniques including: single note playing, free stroke and rest stroke
- Basic notation to support your playing
- Learning and playing some selected scales (C, G, Am, Em, F) and arpeggio sequences (Em, Am B7)
- Basic chord shapes (Em, Am, B7, E,)
- Add to your repertoire
- An introduction to composition
- Improvising short phrases
- Playing simple phrases by ear
- Spanish, 19th Century, South American and popular melodies.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of simple chord shapes
- Play a small number of chords
- Play a limited number of scales - major and minor, arpeggio and chromatic scales
- Play repertoire learnt during the term
- Improvise a number of short phrases using a pentatonic scale
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of music theory equivalent to grade 1.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to be able to play Am scale, natural and harmonic form, across one octave; play arpeggios of E minor and A minor ; read from open D string 4 to A on string 1; know where C# and D# are on string 2, and where G# is on string 3; understand how to pay dotted rhythms.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group playing and individual work, teacher demonstrations and solo presentation in class. Resources are available in the google classroom where you can post your own work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please play a nylon strung classical guitar.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Classical guitar 2a in the autumn term.
Tony Rowden studied with the eminent Spanish guitarist Carlos Bonell initially at City Lit and then at The London College of Music. He has also attended classes given by Gary Ryan and John Mills. He has performed with Carlos Bonell and Clive Carroll as well as flautists, recorder players, Renaissance singers and a guitar trio. He has recently played in Garcia Lorca's Blood Wedding, Lope de Vega's Peribanez and a musical version of George Orwell's Animal Farm. Tony premiered Memórias, the published works of Silvestre Fonseca's Fado arrangements, and had a piece, Serenata, written for him by Silvestre Fonseca. He has several arrangements published: Ennio Morricone's Once Upon A Time In The West and The Master and Margerita and the book Easy Ensembles. His playing is featured in the film Silent Shakespeare, with pieces composed by Laura Rossi (London to Brighton, Song for Marion), and an animated film with music composed by Miguel Mera. Tony has been teaching at City Lit for the past twenty years
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.