Clothes making I
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
Course Code: VJ101
Please choose a course date
Duration: 8 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
With individual use of a Bernina sewing machine, the tutor will guide you through sewing techniques, to include:
- Introduction to clothes making and sewing equipment
- Introduction to a domestic sewing machine
- Introduction to a domestic over locker
- How to sew basic seams for a simple skirt from a pattern with fabric
- How to sew a zip
- How to attach interfacing & facing
- How to cut out garments and use a skirt pattern. You will be a skirt with waistband and zip.
- How to sew a perfect darts
- How to attach a waistband.
What will we cover?
- Creating a simple skirt from a pattern
- Cutting out the chosen fabric
- Understanding Grain lines
- The perfect interfacing
- Adding a machine button hole
- Inserting a zip
- Attaching a waistband
- Machining a hem
- Inserting a Lining ( optional)
- Pressing the garment
- Simple techniques & tips for a glamorous look
You will have all of the skills and capabilities needed to make up your skirt again and again in a range of fabrics, and continue sewing in the future!
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Read & assemble a simple skirt pattern.
- Cut out fabric correctly adhering to ‘grainlines’.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to sew a zip, button hole, waistband and hem techniques.
- Produce a skirt by using the above techniques.
More advanced learners will:
- Produce another skirt in your own fabric and pattern with some embellishment techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for beginners, no knowledge of clothes making or sewing is necessary. You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written instructions. General knowledge of a sewing machine is advisable.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic sewing equipment will be provided. Calico will be provided for the 1st skirt.
You will need the waist and hip measurements. You will need to buy fabric for your specific skirt and a simple skirt pattern to suit your tastes. Guidance will be given in week one for purchasing the correct style of pattern, the correct type and quantity of fabric, matching threads. You will need to bring your purchased pattern to session two.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can move on to courses in Clothes making II or chose from a variety of clothmaking courses
Silvia Sacrestano is a Italian fashion print designer graduated from Central Saint Martin’s year 2000, working as a freelance artist for fashion, community projects, museums and academic schools as: Fashion textile print designer, screen print designer, carnival costume artist, pattern cutter ,clothes making & soft furnishing ,combining cad embroidery, felt making, art, craft & food for the wellbeing. Silvia is a creative, young spirited person, full of energy always looking for exciting projects to share & to work in collaboration with other creative minds & students. She is organized, patient, with lots of artistic skills, looks for challenges, specialised in working with children, families & adults. Silvia is based in central London; she is interested in helping the community by sharing her knowledge, enthusiasm & artistic tools of self-expression. She infuses others with her passion, to inspire and to be inspired. By participating in her workshops you will feel energetic, have fun and be creative, whilst exploring visual imagination & wellbeing. You will use experimental and innovative techniques with a unique artistic approach.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.