Clothes making II
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Sorry, this course is now full
What is the course about?
With individual use of a Bernina sewing machine, the tutor will guide you through sewing techniques, to include:
- Overview to clothes making and sewing equipment
- Introduction to a domestic sewing machine
- Introduction to a domestic over locker
- Familiarize with stretchy fabric
- How to cut out garments and use a simple top pattern. You will be making a top or, if you like to be challenged, it can be adapted to a tube dress
- How to sew basic seams for a stretchy top from a pattern within your chosen stretchy fabric
- How to sew fastenings (optional)
- How to attach sleeves (optional)
- How to sew neatly with stretchy fabric
- How to sew a hem with a twin needle.
What will we cover?
- Creating a fitted top with stretch fabric from a commercial pattern
- Cutting out the chosen fabric
- Understanding Grain lines
- Inserting fastenings (optional)
- Machining a hem
- Pressing the garment
- Simple techniques & tips for a glamorous look.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Read & assemble a top or an extended top into a dress from a commercial pattern using stretchy fabric
- Cut out fabric correctly adhering to ‘grainlines’
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to sew a top with neat seams & hem techniques
- Produce a finished glamorous top or tube dress with or without sleeves by using the above techniques
More advanced learners will:
- Produce a dress from the extended top & some embellishment techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable to those with some basic sewing experience, or for those that need to refresh their skills. You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic sewing equipment will be provided. You will need to buy fabric for your specific top (or dress) and a pattern to suit your tastes. Guidance will be given in week one for purchasing the correct style of pattern, the correct type and quantity of fabric, matching threads and any specialist needles.
You will need to bring your purchased pattern and fabric to session two.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Have a look at our other clothesmaking courses on the links above.
Silvia Sacrestano is a Italian fashion print designer graduated from Central Saint Martin’s year 2000, working as a freelance artist for fashion, community projects, museums and academic schools as: Fashion textile print designer, screen print designer, carnival costume artist, pattern cutter ,clothes making & soft furnishing ,combining cad embroidery, felt making, art, craft & food for the wellbeing. Silvia is a creative, young spirited person, full of energy always looking for exciting projects to share & to work in collaboration with other creative minds & students. She is organized, patient, with lots of artistic skills, looks for challenges, specialised in working with children, families & adults. Silvia is based in central London; she is interested in helping the community by sharing her knowledge, enthusiasm & artistic tools of self-expression. She infuses others with her passion, to inspire and to be inspired. By participating in her workshops you will feel energetic, have fun and be creative, whilst exploring visual imagination & wellbeing. You will use experimental and innovative techniques with a unique artistic approach.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.