Collage: patterns and textures
Time: 18:30 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO294
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Each session of the contemporary collage course will centre on one or two techniques for you to try. We will consider how to work with each method and the results we can achieve, looking at the work of modern and contemporary collage and mixed media artists producing work in this way for further inspiration.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Session 1: Textures, patterns and marks: working with look and feel
Session 2: Texture, patterns and marks: working with frottage / rubbings
Session 3: Textures, patterns and marks: Froissage + Dechirage - working with folds and tears
Session 4: Textures, patterns and marks: working with decollage and Affiches Lacérés
- How the materiality and visual characteristics of our collage materials can inspire work.
- How particular collage techniques can produce effective figurative and abstract pieces
- The work of modern and contemporary mixed media and collage artists
- How we can bring further meaning into our collage work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Create collages using a variety of materials
• Consider how colour, pattern and surface texture work in a collage
• Respond to local / found colour and texture as well as work from your imagination
• Take inspiration from artists who have used a variety of media to create abstract and figurative collage pieces
• Identify and use various collage techniques including frottage / rubbings, folding and tearing and construction-deconstruction techniques
• Create collages inspired by Affiches Lacérés (torn posters)
• Produce a variety of frottage marks to use for collage and combine frottage with other approaches to create collage
• Work with ideas around distorted, abstracted images.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior experience is required and All levels are welcome. Any previous art-making experience is useful but all we ask is that you come with a willingness to try things out, explore and experiment….
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be taught via Zoom and will be live interactive teaching.. Each session will include a presentation with opportunities for questions and group discussion, along with one-to-one feedback and direction.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• A variety of materials you can cut and paste such as newspapers, magazines, wrapping paper, wallpaper, cardboard, fabrics, bubble-wrap, leaves or any other materials you’d like to work with
• Paper or card to use as a support to stick your collage materials to
• Scissors and glue (PVA glue or a glue stick)
• Pen / pencil and notebook to take notes
• Drawing / painting materials such as charcoal, pastels, watercolours or acrylics if you want to explore mixed-media work during the session
Need art supplies? Our partner London Graphic Centre has everything you need from pencil to printing services, at 15% off.
To get an LGC discount card, students will need to show proof/ confirmation of enrolment of them being a student at City Lit. You can apply for our card in-store or by simply emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a scan or photo of relevant confirmation. The student discount does not apply to products that are already discounted or on offer. More information can be found here- https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/student-discounts/.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Go to https://www.citylit.ac.uk/courses/art-and-design for more online courses including other collage and mixed media courses, visual communication, contemporary crafts and much more….
Mario Lautier Vella is a cross-disciplinary, award-winning artist who began his art career at City Lit. After completing a number of short courses in drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture and textiles, Mario went on to do the two-year City Lit Fine Art course before going back to university to gain his Masters degree. Mario regularly exhibits in the UK and abroad and his work can be found in private collections around the world. Mario has enjoyed teaching at City Lit since 2011. For more info go to mariolautiervella.com
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.