Communication skills for work: presenting, persuading, reporting, explaining (Level 1-2)
Time: 18:30 - 20:45
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). Use Chrome if possible.
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: HECW01
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will develop your English for the workplace in speaking, listening reading and writing. You will develop your presentation skills so you can present information and data on different aspects of your company - for example, markets, customers, products and pricing - as well as persuade others of your ideas. You will focus on how to write different business communications – for example, reports, letters, summaries, minutes, copy for websites - so your writing is clear and easy to understand. You will practise explaining opinions and facts using figures and charts, graphs, bar charts and tables. You will learn how to explain cause and result, make comparisons through SWOT analyses, and use the right language in online (Zoom) meetings. All of this will develop your vocabulary, choice of words and sensitivity to meaning.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• how to write different business communications – for example, reports, letters, summaries, minutes, copy for websites
• presentation skills to present information on different aspects of a company - for example, markets, customers, products and pricing - in order to persuade and influence colleagues or clients
• presenting and explaining figures and charts such as numbers, percentages, trends, graphs, bar charts and tables
• explaining cause and result
• making comparisons through SWOT analyses
• using the right language for online Zoom meetings
• initiating conversations
• developing and sustaining dialogue
• closing work conversations and meetings.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• work more confidently in a business and work setting
• write different business communications to a high level - reports, letters, summaries, minutes, copy for websites
• present information on different aspects of a company - for example, markets, customers, products and pricing - using vocabulary effectively and structuring your presentation well in order to persuade and influence colleagues or clients
• present and talk about figures and charts such as numbers, percentages, trends, graphs, bar charts and tables
• explain cause and result e.g. at a business meeting
• conduct comparisons through SWOT analyses
• use the right language at online (Zoom) meetings
• initiate business and work conversations
• develop and sustain dialogues at work
• close a conversation effectively and politely.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Level 1-Level 2 i.e.. good intermediate to advanced (B2-C1). It is ideal for anyone who is currently working or would like to work in a business or for a company which requires you to write reports, make presentations, and explain information and data.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Workplace skills for ESOL learners: communicating in the online and face to face office (level 1)
• Communication skills: read well, write well (level 1-level 2)
• English for professionals: communicating, selling, negotiating and managing in business and work (Level 2)
• English Communication Skills for professionals: finding the right word in business (advanced)
• Advanced writing skills: how to write creatively and expressively (level 2)
•English for professionals: how to make your writing clear, concise and flowing (advanced ESOL)
• ESOL level 1 (speaking and listening)
• ESOL level 1 (reading and writing)
• ESOL level 2 (speaking and listening)
• ESOL level 2 (reading and writing)
• ESOL Pronunciation Stage 1
There also many maths, digital and office skills courses you can do.
Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for more details.