Contemporary collage projects 1
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
This course has now started
Course Code: VH043
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course will look at the position of “mixed media” Assemblage and Collage within the context of modernism and contemporary Art. We will examine mixed media in all its forms and explore notions around the theme of archive, production, experimentation, reclamation and recycling to include contemporary publishing.
We will look at the visual vocabulary of image making and explore relationships between materiality, metaphor and meaning.
Collage derives from the French word, “Coller”, meaning to glue and “Assemblage” is a term given to making three or two dimensional constructions from found natural or manufactured objects. We will look at how to reassemble the flat packed painting of old and embrace an abundance of mixed media materials, interventions, juxtapositions, fragmentations and techniques.The course will be primarily practical but will align itself to looking at modern and contemporary international art.
What will we cover?
- Though primarily grounded in the tactile and the two dimensional, projects will attempt to outreach paintings mixed media three dimensional counterparts and interdisciplinary cousins.
- The Course will set up a series of strategies embracing mixed media painting, paper collage, assemblage, decoupage, bricolage, installation, construction, image transformation and desecration, monoprinting, transfer, metamorphosis, text , publications and wall releifs.
- We will examine the use of mixed media both as an engine of ideas, as means of representation and as a tool of communication within the context of Contemporary Art.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop a wide range of skills relating to mixed media, drawing, painting, assemblage and collage.
- Recognise the interdisciplinary relationship between the three areas and the interrelationship between making and meaning.
- Contextualise “Painting, Assemblage and Collage” within the evolution of Modernism and it’s current force today.
- Establish a large lexicon of images, materials and objects in which to experiment with in future.
- Employ many layers of intuition, irrationality, nonsense, logic, aesthetics and reason upon the process of conceiving, proposing, making and presenting all three.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course will be open to “absolute beginners” and “advanced” alike.
Bring an open mind and sense of adventure.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The class will be primarily practical with one to one tuition, exercises, demonstrations, visual lectures and group discussions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
PLEASE BRING A CAMERA WITH YOU TO EVERY SESSION.
Basic materials will be provided and your tutor will advise you on what to bring in from the mixed media cupboards of home. This will include: newspapers, magazines, unusual papers and materials, found objects and so forth.
It may be advisable to bring a small book to house scraps, experiments, ideas and progressions at the end of each day.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to progress from Collage part 1 to part 2 or part 3. You may wish extend your course learning into Painting, printmaking, sculpture, textiles, animation, film or any other specialist courses running throughout the year.
Your tutor will advise you on the last session.
Simon English emerged on the London Art scene in 1994, with an exhibition of painting at the Saatchi Gallery as part of Young British Art 111. He has become best known for his large and small-scale works on paper, often described as painted drawings. He has exhibited internationally at The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, Copenhagen, Denmark; Musee D'Art Contemporaine de Val de Marne (MAC VAL), Paris France; Arken Museum of Modern Art, Denmark; The Aldrich Museum, Connecticut, U.S.A; Sammlung Essi, Vienna, Austria; Sammlung Falckenberg, Hamburg, Germany; Kunsthaus Zurich, Switzerland; LAM Lille, France; Rohkunstbau XXII, Germany, Paisley Museum Scotland; The New Art Gallery, Walsall, Tate Britain, London, Kunsthal KAdE, Amersfoort, The Netherlands; Galerie Delacroix French Institute, Tanglers, Morrocco; Galerie du Jour Agnes B, Paris, France. In March 2018, the artist's new book, 'SIMON ENGLISH: my big self decoy justin beiber', was launched in the UK by Black Dog Publishing. In 2020 Simon will be presenting his largest solo show to date, at the Transpalette centre D'Arte in Bourges, followed by a solo show at Allegra Projects in St Moritz.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.