Contemporary drawing studio
Time: 18:30 - 21:30
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
What is the course about?
Take your drawing into exciting new directions – build on your existing skills and discover new ways of working, experiment with different techniques and find out where your drawings will take you next.
Be inspired by experimental drawing techniques and the work of comtemporary artists. From initial sketches and additional research through to a series of final drawings - we will work from observation, our own research and imagination.
What will we cover?
- Source material and development of subject matter eg sketchbook ideas, working from photographs and
- Experimenting with image making materials i.e. drawing materials and mixing media and collage.
- Discussion of the visual language in drawing
- Issues in contemporary drawing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw with more confidence using a variety of different methods
- Use drawing as a means of recording, exploration and self-expression
- Use a sketchbook/photograph as a research tool for a drawing/artwork
- Expand and develop your initial visual ideas using a variety of drawing materials and processes
- Make a sustained drawing or series of works over several weeks
- Develop your ability to make decisions about the development of your own work
- Use the work of current artists as a reference and influence on your own drawing practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Intermediate – you should have drawing experience / completed our Drawing 1 course or an equivalent. Come with an open mind and a willingness to try things out and develop your work further.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstrations and presentations, practical exercises, handouts, collaborative group-work and individual tasks, group and one-to-one discussions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials are included.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Depending on your starting point, you may like to take:
- Drawing continued or Extended drawing for artists and makers (advanced)
- Draw, paint, print / Introduction to printmaking
- A life-drawing, portrait or urban drawing class.
Mario Lautier Vella is a cross-disciplinary, award-winning artist who began his art career at City Lit. After completing a number of short courses in drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture and textiles, Mario went on to do the two-year City Lit Fine Art course before going back to university to gain his Masters degree. Mario regularly exhibits in the UK and abroad and his work can be found in private collections around the world. Mario has enjoyed teaching at City Lit since 2011. For more info go to mariolautiervella.com
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.