What is the course about?
This is a short and fun live online course for students that want to have a look at Adobe Illustrator for the first time. You will create a simple Illustration or graphic while learning and practicing some of the fundamental skills needed to work in Illustrator.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Illustrator workspace and set up
• Vector graphics and Path anatomy
• Working with Layers, sublayers and templates.
• Selection Tool, Direct Selection Tool and Group Selection Tool
• Fill and Stroke Colour
• Drawing with the Pen Tools
• Drawing, combining and transforming Shapes
• Saving and exporting files from Illustrator.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Work within Adobe Illustrator workspace with confidence
• Understand what a vector graphic or illustration is and how it behaves
• Use several techniques to create and edit your designs in Illustrator
• Combine several shapes together to produce a simple graphic or illustration
• Apply colour to your designs and illustrations
• Save a document in an appropriate size and file format for the Internet or Print.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Illustrator is required. However, students should be confident and competent computer users on a Mac or Windows PC and be proficient with a mouse and keyboard in either a creative software, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint or equivalent and should be able to download, upload, save, open and retrieve files. Some awareness of design for print or any other art/design practice would be useful.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information and you will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should also be able to use numbers and carry out simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A pen and paper to take notes. You may also find that having a couple of sheets of A4 paper and a ruler to hand would also be useful. Handouts for this course are best viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader (or, if you have full Creative Cloud, Acrobat DC) so may want to have Acrobat on your computer.
You will need to have access to Adobe Illustrator on your computer. If you do not have the software City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course.If you require more information please contact us on: email@example.com
Please check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software.Please visit this link to check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills further with Illustrator or other software – City Lit offer a range of courses in Graphic Design, Illustration, Animation, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign to enhance your design and illustration practice.