A short introduction to stop motion animation
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VK579
Available start dates
Duration: 2 sessions (over 2 weeks)
What is the course about?
Over the duration of the course you will be introduced to the different techniques of animation including Experimental, Sand, Cut-out, Pixilation, Drawn and Model animation. Each session will focus on a particular technique. Your tutor will demonstrate each animation technique, explaining stage by stage how it is done. This will be accompanied by a range of example film clips. You will learn how to brainstorm ideas, develop subjects and themes and represent them through producing short sequence clips. These animation workshops will not only be fun but you will benefit by learning a range of animation techniques which you can use to produce your own short animation clips to show case your new skills.
What will we cover?
- Cutout animation
- Pixilation (object + human) animation
- Experimental sand animation
- Animating a 3D Stop-Frame puppet and plasticine model
- Putting together an animation with sound.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Produce your own Stop-frame animation using a range of techniques
- Describe what makes a good animation and the preparations required for dynamic animation
- Demonstrate how to capture your animation film using digital camera capture software
- Use the professional application Dragon Frame to capture your animations and produce your own short sequences
- Record or select a sound file to accompany your animation
- Understand how to use frames and timing to create engaging movements.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners class but this course is suitable for those who wish to polish up their skills or enhance their practice with a new animation technique.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, individual assistance. Any work outside the class is optional but learners will be given practical exercise to try out.
- You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 3hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window. Please amend and delete as suitable
- We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The latest professional equipment and software in our animation studio will be available to you to use in class throughout the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may now wish to develop your digital animation skills with Adobe After Effects so you can learn how to composite and apply effects to your puppet animation. City Lit offer a range of courses in 2D and 3D Animation, Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effects, Character animation, editing, sound, illustration, cartooning, storyboarding and adobe Photoshop to enhance your animation practice.