What is the course about?
Be inspired by the work of a range of abstract artists then develop your own style working from life, your imagination and other stimuli. Produce finished work or consider how your drawings can be developed further.
What will we cover?
- A variety of drawing techniques that move from the representational to the abstract and where it can take you
- How to work with mark-making, colour, gesture, texture, rhythm, composition and more
- The theories that have inspired abstract art and how your ideas and interests can shape your work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify the work and techniques used by a number of abstract artists
- Make drawings inspired by abstract approaches in a variety of media
- Draw with increased confidence
- Incorporate a more explorative, open-minded approach to your artistic practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Intermediate – you should have some drawing experience and be aware of drawing concepts such as line, tone and composition before doing the course. Come with an open mind and a willingness to try new techniques.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Handouts, presentations, demonstrations, practical work, individual and group tutoring, and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Ways into abstract painting
- Colour and abstract design for textiles and surface pattern
- Extended Drawing for artists and Makers - The City Lit one year Avanced Drawing course - VH835 or VH769.