Acceptance and commitment therapy for speech and language therapists
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: XS510
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
Developed by Steven Hayes in 1986 ACT is one of the 'third wave' of therapies which place emphasis on developing mindfulness skills. It has a large body of empirical evidence to support its effectiveness. The two major goals of ACT are acceptance of experience which is out of personal control and taking committed action towards living a valued life. On this two-day workshop you'll learn about the core principles of ACT and how they can be usefully applied when working with a range of clients.
What will we cover?
- What acceptance and commitment therapy is
- Letting go of the struggle
- The impact of avoidance
- The use of metaphors in ACT
- The 6 core processes of ACT - the hexaflex
- Mindfulness skills
- Practical applications to therapy.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate an understanding of the rationale of ACT and its relevance to speech and language therapy
- Identify skills to help clients deal more effectively with negative thoughts and feelings
- Participate in a range of mindfulness practices
- Identify ways in which ACT principles can be integrated into speech and language therapy.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for qualified speech and language therapists. To access the course you will need to be able to understand and express yourself in English and relate the topics being taught to your own experience and practice. You will also need to be able to give and receive feedback. Before joining the class, you will need to speak to one of the Speech Therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be a large experiential component to the course as well as some theoretical input and practical sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs although you might choose to purchase books from the suggested reading list.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.