What is the course about?
This course will take you through the most essential components of the Microsoft Access 2016 database program. It will give you the foundational skills needed to create, edit and exploit your database for your personal use or for work. You will learn how to use Microsoft Access to analyze large amounts of information, and manage related data more efficiently than Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet application.
What will we cover?
•identifying key terminology used within Access
• identifying the basic elements and objects of an Access database.
• identifying the factors you need to consider when planning a database.
• creating database objects (tables, forms, queries and reports).
• using queries to search and manipulate data.
• creating forms to capture data.
• developing reports to extract data.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• confidently create and edit an Access database using the correct tools
• identify the concepts needed to successfully plan, design and implement a basic database for home and a workplace.
• identify the main objects of a database enabling you to be able to create a basic database that can be used in a small working environment.
• create tables for inputting generic data
• create different types of forms that will display the records in an attractive style
• interrogate your data by creating queries that will filter your required information.
• develop reports to summarise and extract data from your table.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginner's course in Access databases. You should be able to use the keyboard and mouse and understand the principles of file management. You should also be able to follow spoken and written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a practical hands-on course. Your will have your own computer and you will be encouraged to practise as much as possible. An interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand. It will be a relaxed learning environment and step by step learning will help you become more skilled. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs for doing this course, but, you will need to bring a USB flash drive, your own pens, paper and folder to make your notes.
It is possible to sit a BCS Access Level 1 exam. If you wish to do so, you will need to pay for the BCS registration, the Test and a proportion of the cost of an invigilator. An online sample test is also available at a small cost if you want to check you are ready to take the exam . Please ask your tutor for more information if you are interested in taking the exam.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a number of courses you can do at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Word 2016 for the workplace (intermediate)
• Excel 2016 for the workplace (intermediate)
•Creating and delivering the perfect presentation with PowerPoint 2016 (intermediate)
• Outlook 2016 for the workplace: managing your emails, tasks and priorities (intermediate)
• ECDL Level 1 or 2 qualification (assessment needed)
• IT Skills for the Office: an introduction or intermediate.
There is also an Access (advanced) course for those who make good progress.
We have many other digital skills courses. Your tutor will advise you on the best course. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.