What is the course about?
This online course provides an opportunity to deepen and expand your acting skills by working to performance standard. You will have the opportunity to identify and cultivate your individual strengths and improve your weaknesses, to build confidence and challenge yourself in scenes and acting exercises.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Practical text analysis
• Character work and development
• Exploratory improvisations
• Detailed scene rehearsal
• Performance to an invited audience at the end of term.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Effectively explore and analyse text
• Apply this textual analysis in practical work
• Build and sustain a given character
• Rehearse with rigour and depth
• Perform a scene/(s) with confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an Advanced level course for students with a high level of ability and experience.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen and respond to instructions and feedback.
• Communicate clearly in discussion and drama practice.
• Read and respond to a variety of text.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Take notes.
• Work within groups and pairs safely.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Your tutor will teach though a variety of techniques during this online course. Depending on each different acting exercise, this may include work in pairs, small groups, individually and in whole group. You will need a computer or tablet with a camera, microphone and reliable internet connection to take this class. Your tutor may use email or Google Classroom to share messages, documents, audio and video files and for you to submit any homework tasks. We use Zoom or Google Meet for all classes. There will be some homework, e.g. reading, learning lines, simple research tasks.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• You will need a notebook, pencil and eraser.
• Comfortable clothing should be worn.
• You may be required to secure scripts. Photocopies of individual scenes will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Continue on this course to build your knowledge of plays and to hone your skills. You could also consider any professional development skills courses.