What is the course about?
Using physical exploration and play, this course is designed to broaden and develop your skills, while providing an opportunity to develop character and scene work to performance standard.
What will we cover?
• Verse and prose form
• Text and scene analysis for clues to performance
• A range of exercises that will explore and unlock the text
• Scene Rehearsal – speeches, sonnets and scenes
• Performance in class and the possibility of performing in our festival week.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Analyse a scene or speech for clues to performance
• Demonstrate character physically with confidence
• Work as part of an ensemble
• Perform scenes and speeches with confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need to have completed a general, beginners acting course here or elsewhere. You may enrol if you have the necessary knowledge to work with confidence with Shakespeare's texts.
In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen and respond to instructions and feedback
• Communicate clearly in discussion and drama practice
• Read and respond to a variety of text
• Give and receive constructive feedback
• Take notes
• Work within groups and pairs safely.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In pairs, groups and individually.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Comfortable clothing should be worn. You will be provided with photocopies of scenes/speeches. You may need to secure wider texts for further reading of the scene in context of the play.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any professional development skills courses. Acting: advanced.