What is the course about?
This is a course for anyone who would like to enhance their physical and emotional well-being through acting. We will use acting and performance exercises for relaxation, awareness, playfulness and connection with self and others.
What will we cover?
We will use a variety of different strategies and methods that actors use; breathing, physical warm-ups, fun games, improvisation and simple texts as tools to connect you with your own body, your impulses, expressiveness and engagement with others. We will discover the joy of play, the energy that is released through acting and the insights you can make about yourself and others through the process of working on a text. Through the process of acting you will gain transferable skills that can also be used in your daily life.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• perform a physical and vocal warm-up for relaxation and aliveness
• recognise renewed energy through a variety of games and exercises
• work on a scene from a play with confidence
• create a character to release different aspects of yourself
• appreciate awareness of your own physical and emotional expression.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for all students who would like to use acting as a playful tool to connect with themselves and others and to enhance physical, emotional and mental health. In order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen actively and communicate clearly
• Move freely and participate in group warm-ups
• Be willing to work alone and with others
• Reflect on your own process
• Give and receive constructive feedback
• Take notes for your own use.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical experiential course. You will be asked to work on short scenes.
You may or may not be asked to participate in rigorous activity from time to time. Please consider whether you could do this, if you are in any doubt consult a medical practitioner.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a notebook and pen for note-taking.
Please wear loose clothing that you can move freely in. Jeans are not recommended.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
A general acting course: Acting: beginners, improvers or advanced depending on your level.