What is the course about?
Practise and explore advanced Adobe Illustrator techniques to develop your design and infographic skills. This course is aimed at more experienced users and offers you the opportunity to extend your design techniques and strategies and streamline your workflow. Through practical exercises you will learn to use the program more intuitively, with greater accuracy and creativity.
What will we cover?
• Using layers and guides for greater accuracy
• Working with effects and the Appearance panel
• Uses and limitations of effects
• Converting raster images to vector artwork using Image Trace
• Using Live paint tools
• Placing text and images
• Using different graph tools
• Inputting and importing data
• Creating graphic styles
• Creating your own symbols
• Modifying symbol instances
• Creating charts and diagrams
• Mapping artwork to 3D effects
• Saving for print and web formats.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Design using advanced Illustrator CC techniques
• Produce your own info graphics
• Create complex shapes easily
• Create and edit symbols
• Use the Appearance panel
• Use Illustrator tools to create 3D effects
• Prepare artwork for commercial print
• Export artwork in different web formats.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is not a beginners' course. You should have practical working knowledge of Apple Macs and have completed the Illustrator: stage 1 or have an equivalent working knowledge of the software. Experience in using Apple Mac computers is required. You are expected to be able to use the mouse and keyboard, save and retrieve files and use drop down menus.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, handouts and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in City Lit Pro: Adobe Creative Cloud intensive or you can compliment your skills in a range of short courses in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign and illustration and graphics.