What is the course about?
Practise and explore advanced Adobe Illustrator techniques for design and illustration. Develop your designs and illustrations using the more advanced features of Illustrator. This course is aimed at more experienced users and offers you the opportunity to extend your design and illustration techniques and streamline your workflow. Through practical exercises you will learn to use the program more intuitively, with greater accuracy and creativity.
You will need:
- Adobe Illustrator on your computer.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Using layers and guides for greater accuracy
• Working with effects and the Appearance panel
• Uses and limitations of effects
• Applying 3D effects
• The Pathfinder panel
• Creating and editing patterns
• Creating Brushes in detail
• Converting raster images to vector artwork using Image Trace
• Using Live paint tools
• Modifying Mesh objects
• Masking in detail
• Creating your own symbols
• Modifying symbol instances
• Mapping artwork to 3D effects
• Setting up folded items for print
• Saving for print and web formats.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Draw and design using advanced Illustrator CC techniques
• Create complex shapes easily
• Create and edit symbols
• Use the Appearance panel
• Use Illustrator tools to create 3D effects
• Prepare artwork for commercial print
• Export artwork in different web formats.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is not a beginners' course. You should have completed the Illustrator: stage 1 or have an equivalent working knowledge of the software. You are expected to be able to use the mouse and keyboard, save and retrieve files and use drop down menus.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructionsand to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance.
Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A pen and paper to take notes. You may also find that having a couple of sheets of A4 paper and a ruler to hand would also be useful. Handouts for this course are best viewed in Adobe Acrobat Reader (or, if you have full Creative Cloud, Acrobat DC) so may want to have Acrobat on your computer.
You will need to have access to Adobe Illustrator. If you do not have the software City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course. If you require more information please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software. Please visit this link to check the software and hardware requirements for downloading the Adobe software: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in Design with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign or you can complement your skills in a range of short courses in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, as well as illustration and graphics.