What is the course about?
This course is the ideal introduction to image manipulation using Photoshop. Essential skills will be introduced and practiced, working towards a greater understanding of the main features of the program with direct relation to a photographer’s needs.
What will we cover?
- Introduction to the Photoshop environment, its tools and image editing
- Making colour and tonal adjustments
- Working with and manipulating layers
- Saving images and file formats
- Defining, refining and editing selections
- Applying special effects to digital images
- Constructing multi-layered images
- Working with adjustment layers
- Retouching and repairing photographs
- Importing images onto the computer.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- manipulate and edit images using a variety of Photoshop features
- select and isolate specific areas of an image
- apply colour adjustments to images
- combine several images together to produce a photomontage
- apply special effects using filters and styles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Photoshop is required, but you will need to know how to use a computer for word processing.
We will be working on Apple Mac computers; if you are new to using these you might find our course ‘An introduction to Apple computers’ that runs each term useful.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and be prepared take part in group discussion. You should be happy using numbers and able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course structure consists of supervised practical activities, discussions and step-by-step demonstrations. One-to-one guidance and support will be given throughout. Notes will be provided.
Use of Adobe Photoshop outside the class will be beneficial. The program can be downloaded from Adobe.com for a 30 day trial for free and then for less than £10 per month. Https://creative.adobe.com/plans.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other costs. Notes are provided and advice will be given on buying books and using the internet as a resource.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit runs a number of other Photoshop courses if you want to develop your skills on the program further. We also offer a huge range of different photography courses, from wedding or wildlife photography to darkroom workshops.
Alternatively you may be interested in further developing your digital image skills in courses such as InDesign or Illustrator. Browse the website or prospectus to get inspired.