What is the course about?
This course is the ideal introduction to image manipulation using Adobe Photoshop.Essential skills will be introduced and practiced, working towards a greater understanding of the main features of the program.
What will we cover?
- Introduction to the Photoshop environment, tools and image editing.
- Making colour and tonal adjustments.
- Working with and manipulating layers.
- Saving images and file formats.
- Defining, refining and editing selections.
- Applying special effects to digital images.
- Constructing multi-layered images.
- Working with adjustment layers.
- Retouching and repairing photographs.
- Importing images onto the computer.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Manipulate and edit images using a variety of Photoshop features.
- Select and isolate specific areas of an image.
- Apply colour adjustments to images.
- Combine several images together to produce a photomontage.
- Apply special effects using filters and styles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Photoshop is required.However, students should be confident and competent computer users
on a Mac or Windows PC and be proficient with a mouse and keyboard in either a creative software,Microsoft Word, PowerPoint or equivalent and should be able to download,upload,save,open and retrieve files Some awareness of design for print or any other art/design practice would be useful.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions,demonstrations,hand-outs and health and safety information,and will be invited to take part in group discussion.You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including short lectures,demonstrations,practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance.Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other costs, but it may be useful to have a pen and paper to take notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills further with Photoshop: stage 2,Adobe Illustrator: stage 1,City Lit Pro: Infographic design with Adobe Illustrator,Adobe InDesign:stage 1,designing for magazines and books with Adobe InDesign:stage 1.