What is the course about?
This course teaches advanced skills for writing, editing and polishing creative non-fiction writing. Sophisticated crafting techniques will be discussed by the class. The focus of the course will be on the workshop element with students workshopping their own writing, and the writing of other students on the course.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Advanced approaches to writing creative non-fiction
- Advanced elements of language and structure in the creative non-fiction genre.
- Approaches to workshopping and revising creative non-fiction pieces.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Edit and revise your writing by applying structural and language techniques taught on the course.
- Critically evaluate your own approach to creative non-fiction to open up new avenues of exploration.
- Use feedback from the tutor and other students to revise and edit your work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an advanced course suitable only for students who have already taken our intermediate classes in creative non-fiction.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A mix of workshopping your own writing and that of other students, group work, class discussion, writing exercises and formal instruction from the tutor.
All writing courses at City Lit will involve an element of workshop. This means that students will produce work which will be discussed in an open and constructive environment with the tutor and other students. The college operates a policy of constructive criticism, and all feedback on another student’s work by the tutor and other students should be delivered in that spirit.
For classes longer than one day, regular reading and writing exercises will be set for completion at home to set deadlines.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Writing materials are the only materials needed but books may be recommended to you to enhance and continue your learning.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of courses in autobiographical writing and journalism. Browse the writing section of our website to find the perfect course for you.
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.