What is the course about?
This course is the ideal introduction to image manipulation using Affinity Photo, which costs less than competitors such as Adobe Photoshop, yet retains full professional level image editing tools. Essential skills will be introduced and practiced, working towards a greater understanding of the main features of the program.
What will we cover?
- Introduction to the Affinity Photo environment, tools and image editing.
- Importing images onto the computer.
- Making colour and tonal adjustments.
- Retouching and repairing photographs.
- Working with and manipulating layers.
- Saving images and file formats.
- Defining, refining and editing selections.
- Applying special effects to digital images.
- Working with adjustment layers.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Manipulate and edit images using a variety of Affinity Photo features.
- Select and isolate specific areas of an image.
- Apply colour adjustments to images.
- Combine several images together to produce a photomontage.
- Apply special effects using filters and styles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Affinity Photo is required, but you should know how to use a computer for word processing.
If you are new to using Apple computers you might find our course useful ‘An introduction to Apple Mac computers’ that run each term.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course structure consists of supervised practical activities, discussions and step by step demonstrations. One-to-one guidance and support will be given throughout. Notes will be provided.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring some of your own photographs along on a memory stick. As one of the key features of Affinity Photos is its ability to process RAW images, it would be preferable to bring along unprocessed RAW image files. Notes are provided and advice will be given on buying books and using the Internet as a resource.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of courses in video and DSLR film making, editing, sound, animated SFX with After Effects, digital and stop motion 2D and 3D Animation and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your film making practice.